Aging is definitely not an excuse to becoming unfit or stop caring about your body. Most seniors these days are conscious of their health. They make sure that they exercise regularly to remain fit and healthy. Exercise not only promotes good health but stops depression from setting in as well.
However not all exercise or gym equipment is suitable to be used by the elderly. When buying fitness equipment, make sure you keep the following things in mind
- The age of the person
- Their physical condition. Some seniors are pretty fit for their age but not everyone can perform the same amount of exercise.
- It’s always better to start safe. Using equipment with the lowest resistance levels is usually a good idea.
The following is a list of gym equipment suitable for mature fitness seekers.
Endurance Building Exercises
The biggest challenge which the elderly face with the passing of time is a low endurance level. Certain gym equipment can actually help build up that endurance without using a great deal of stamina. Exercises which involve stair climbing and running are definitely not for the seniors. The best choice then is to invest in a good elliptical.
The Elliptical Tradmill
An elliptical treadmill can help seniors in the following way
- Seated elliptical exercises for seniors are easy on the joints and involve the use of the required muscles for proper strength building.
- These exercises are pretty low impact. This way, seniors can exercise more without feeling tired immediately. Take a look at this great treadmill for sale at www.flexequipment.com.au which is perfect for seniors.
- Since the exercises are easy to perform it keeps the motivation level high and the elderly find it easier and more refreshing to exercise on an everyday basis.
Treadmills are low impact gym equipment as well. These can be used by all seniors above the age of sixty. That’s because treadmills allow people to set their own pace. Most elderly find it difficult to go out of their homes to parks for walking. With a treadmill at home it becomes easier for them to find the time and the correct pace to exercise.
The following are a few benefits of treadmill
- It helps burn unwanted calories.
- Most seniors start piling on weight just because they don’t have access to a gym or a park. A treadmill can actually rectify this problem.
- Its great exercise for the heart. Most seniors these days suffer from heart conditions. A daily walk on the treadmill can help keep the heart healthy.
- Research has proved that treadmill walking can help lower cholesterol levels in seniors.
Besides the elliptical and the treadmill most seniors can also make use of disciplines like yoga and Tai chi though these do not involve any sort of gym equipment but are great for seniors. These can help improve metabolism and increase heart rate in a good way. Yoga is great for relieving symptoms of depression in the elderly. Most people as they age start feeling low. Yoga can help them feel better. The breathing exercises help strengthen the lungs and chest.
If you are searching for perfect equipment to get yous tarted then check out the gym equipment at Flex Fitness for the elderly make sure you contact. They would help you get the best equipment at the most affordable prices.